Lead Poisoning PDF Print E-mail

When children are lead poisoned we all suffer.

 

Problem

Today in America there are 1.5 million children who are lead poisoned at levels that are damaging their brains (10 micrograms of lead per deciliter of blood - 10 mg/dl).

 

Cause

The poisoning is primarily caused when children ingest leaded dust by sucking on their fingers and other objects. The dust comes from gasoline, paint, coal burning and garbage burning. The dust is on the soil where children live and play, on carpeting and furniture and in window wells.

 

Effect

Experts agree that lead poisoned children suffer learning disabilities, reduced attention span, lower IQ's, increased nervousness and frustration, behavior problems and violence.
Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center have made the connection between lead poisoned children and violent teenagers. (Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)

 

Solutions

Lead poisoning can be prevented by:

  • Covering bare soil around houses
  • Covering or removing peeling lead paint
  • Cleaning or removing lead infested carpeting and furniture
  • Covering or replacing lead painted window frames
  • Modifying diets
  • Filtering drinking and cooking water
  • Washing hands frequently
  • Removing shoes near the door

SPECIAL NOTE: Professional assistance should be sought for some of the above.

 

Earth Protector®